news

UN Chief Guterres calls for immediate ceasefire in Syria's Idlib

As tensions mounts in the middle east, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for an immediate ceasefire in Syria's Idlib, Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Thursday.

According to Dujarric: "The Secretary-General is following with grave concern the escalation in northwest Syria and reports that dozens of Turkish soldiers have been killed by an airstrike."

"The Secretary-General reiterates his call for an immediate ceasefire and expresses particular concern about the risk to civilians from escalating military actions," he added.

"Without urgent action, the risk of even greater escalation grows by the hour," he noted.

As the Russian backed Damascus forces have regained the controls of more that 70% of the country back to the Syrian President Bashir Assad, the last and major stronghold under the control of the rebels and terrorist is the Idlib province of Aleppo in the northwest Syria, where Turkey has vested interest as Ankara has been providing overtly supports and military covers for the anti-Damascus forces which have been enjoying Russian military air cover since 2015

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week that Ankara is ready to use its full combat power in case an operation in Idlib is needed, adding that the start of a military campaign in Idlib is only a matter of time and that all preparations have been made.


According to TASS, Idlib is the only region of Syria that is still mostly controlled by illegal armed groups. In 2017, a northern de-escalation zone was set up there, and militants who refused to lay down arms in Eastern Gouta near Damascus and in southern parts of Syria moved there.

1 comment

Poster Speaks

Poster Speaks/box

Trending

randomposts