news

Russia warns Turkey against attacking Syrian forces

Erdogan threatens 'imminent' operation in Syria's Idlib if Damascus fails to withdraw behind Turkish positions


The Turkish backed rebels have always use civilians as shades to fight the Russian backed Syrian forces and then turned around to blame Russian-Syrian forces for civilian casualties in the rebels held region.


Russian on Wednesday sternly warn turkey against any military operations and strikes against Syrian forces as tukish President threatens of an imminent  operation in Idilib province of Aleppo in Syria.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday threatened to launch an operation in Syria's Idlib region by the end of the month if Damascus fails to withdraw behind Turkish military positions.

"An operation in Idlib is imminent," Erdogan told his party's lawmakers in parliament. "We are counting down, we are making our final warnings".

Russia - the Syrian government's main ally in the nine-year war - responded by saying any Turkish offensive against Syrian forces in Idlib would be a "worst case scenario".

"If we are talking about an operation against the legitimate authorities of the Syrian republic and armed forces of the Syrian republic this would of course be the worst scenario," said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, Russia and Turkey were staying in contact to prevent tensions escalating further.

Ankara, which supports several Syrian rebel groups in Syria's northwest, has been outraged since recent Syrian attacks in Idlib province killed 14 Turkish troops in two weeks.

The Turkish backed rebels have always use civilians as shades to fight the Russian backed Syrian forces and then turned around to blame Russian-Syrian forces for civilian casualties in the rebels held region.

'No matter the cost'

Erdogan said talks with Russia on the Idlib region were far from meeting Turkey's demands, and warned a military operation was just a "matter of time".

He said Turkey was determined to make Idlib a secure zone "no matter the cost", even as talks continue with Russia, which backs Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces with air power and troops on the ground.

Erdogan's comments came as Syrian troops pressed an offensive on the country's last major rebel enclave.

About 900,000 people have been forced from their homes and shelters in less than three months.

Erdogan's announcement comes a day after dire warnings by United Nations officials who warned of a humanitarian disaster in northwest Syria.

Nearly 300 civilians have been killed in attacks this year in the region, with 93 percent of the deaths caused by Syrian and Russian forces, according to the UN's human rights chief.

President al-Assad pledged this week to continue the onslaught on the country's last major rebel stronghold, saying the war was not yet over but a "complete victory" was in sight.

In September 2018, Turkey and Russia agreed to turn Idlib province into a de-escalation zone with acts of aggression prohibited. Since then, however, more than 1,800 civilians have been killed in attacks by Syrian and Russian forces.

Calls for restraint

Syrian aid workers issued an urgent call on Wednesday for a ceasefire and international help for nearly a million people fleeing the onslaught.

At a press conference in Istanbul, the Syrian NGO Alliance said existing camps are overcrowded and civilians forced to sleep in the open amid a bitter winter cold.

"We are facing one of the worst protection crises and are dealing with a mass movement of IDPs [internally displaced persons] who have nowhere to go," the Syrian NGO Alliance said in a statement.

They are "escaping in search of safety only to die from extreme weather conditions and lack of available resources", it added.

Russia’s Defense Ministry on Friday (21-02-2020) said reports that hundreds of thousands of Syrians were fleeing Idlib in the direction of Turkey were false, after a UN report said that the Russian-backed Syrian regime offensive displaced 900,000 people since December. According to a report.

The defense ministry also urged Ankara to allow Idlib residents to enter other parts of Syria.

The ministry issued its comments in a statement, saying it had been using drones and other resources to monitor the situation in Idlib. Read More.

NB
Do you think Russian backed Syrian Forces are causing more havoc to the Cvillians compared to the Turkish backed rebels and Jihadist?

Have you ever read from the western medias about the atrocities of the Turkish and Western backed rebels and jihadists?

Share you opinions with us!


(With Aljazeera)

1 comment

  1. The military campaign by Russia and Syrian humanless government is a great offence against the humanity. Women, helpless and innocent children, and men are being murdered by day and the world is keeping quiet. My fear of all these is Syrian government is destroying the future of his own country with such number of children's life being on the line since this war broke out in Syria. What Syriam government does not know is that with the level damages on properties and lives is going to take Syrian next 50 years to rebuild their country and economy again.

    ReplyDelete

Poster Speaks

Poster Speaks/box

Trending

randomposts